Paintball Africa Forum
PBA

PBA Ops

Go Back   Paintball Africa Forum > General Paintball > New Players Section - Go Here First
Register iTrader FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old June 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1
dannLOUW

Default Tippman Sierra One vs A5 as starting kit?

Hey

I'm looking at a good starter kit (marker, mask, tank, etc.) for woodsball, milsim and other scenarios games, but have hit 'n fork in the road which if unsolved will turn into a dead-end. The problem comes with which marker to base my kit on.

My favorites at the moment are the Tippmann Sierra One and the A5.

The best Sierra One kit I found. It goes for R 2525 and includes:
  • 1x Tippmann Sierra One Tactical Marker
  • 1x 200rnd Hopper
  • 1x 20 Oz CO2 cylinder
  • 1x Invert Helix mask + thermal lens
  • 1x Bunkered 4+1 Pod Pack
  • 4x 140rnd Pods
  • 1x 2 point Tactical Sling
  • 1x Vertical Grip
  • 1x BBD, Squeegy ant Tools
But I also really like the Tippmann A5.
I can get a new A5 for between R1700 and R1800.
What i really like about the A5 is that it comes with a Cyclone as standard, so you can add a response trigger (+- R700) or eGrip (+- R1100) to upgrade it to full auto. Tghe A5 can also be modded to look like many real life gun (with enough time I would turn it into an MP5SD).
Note that I haven't included a mask, etc. because prices differ from place to place.

So the question I ask you now is should I take the Sierra One kit which is complete, or buy the A5 as well as a mask and tank.
I have a budget of R 2500, but if it really is worth it I can go up to R 3000.

Please comment, and suggest other set-ups if they can compete with these.
What would be a good starter thermal lens mask, and is the mask in the S1 kit a good one?

If you can help me here - THANKS SO MUCH.
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #2
JouDoring
KoeVoet

JouDoring has a spectacular aura aboutJouDoring has a spectacular aura about
Trade Feedback: 0

another guy also had a similar thread, but his budget was a bit different.

the A5 is going to be the best choice between the two. Out the box it is a really, really lekker marker, and you'll probably be spending loads of cash still on making it look cool and upgrading. It is a very playable marker, my friend was used to playing speed ball, and wanted a descent scenario marker, so he got the A5. the only upgrades he put on was a red dot scope and a j&j barrel.

Go for the A5, and make sure you get a nice mask.

Klaar gepraat
29 jaar en noggie groot geword nie
JouDoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Adrian
kiss my KoeVoeT ass

Adrian will become famous soon enough

a5 according to you R1800
20 oz about R300 why the big tank. when you upgrade to a remote coil with stock and and and you will want to have the 20 oz
mask = proto axis pro. about R800 Features:
  • Silicone woven rubber goggle strap. Designed to be adjusted to fit your head and remain fitted. Tiger tooth strap buckles will allow you to adjust your strap for a custom fit and will bite down to secure the strap.
  • Compression formed soft Ear pieces with adjustable positioning allows you to customize the goggle for a lower profile fit. Makes the mask 20% lighter and also increase audible quality.
  • Incredibly simple Patented 1/4 turn Switch™ Buckle makes the hassle of changing lenses a thing of the past. Simply turn the locking tabs to unlock your lens frame. Pop out your old lens and drop in a new one.
  • The Switch™ lens is a tirodial lens which gives you the ultimate in vertical and horizontal peripheral vision. All Switch™ lenses have perfect optical clarity, setting the standard in visual performance.
  • Multi-directional venting drastically reduces any re-ventilated fogging, this will also throw your voice farther and clearer than any other vented mask on the field. The venting also assists in keeping you cool and breathing easy. The tested, proven and patented venting configuration will make communicating with your teammates effortless, as if there were no vocal obstructions.
  • Dual-molded goggle system designed to keep a rigid mount for the frame and lens while providing the softest face mask available. Paired with multi-directional venting system, the dual-molded combination adds up to two levels of pliability. Designed with a professional-level low profile fit to allow for a forgiving face mask, while still providing the safest eye protection system available.
razed 30mm red dot sight
custom mag replacment
custom hoze repalcement
remote coil, slide check
20z co2
TPX pistol with remote attachment
axis pro mask
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Afghaki
Early Retirement

Afghaki is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

In My opinion, for a starter kit...Take the A-5,16 Oz tank is more than enough,remote line w/ slide check,Vents Helix (smoked thermal) and a 14" JJ Ceramics barrel.
Get used to the set up of the gun aswell as your style of playing and then' get the 4+1 Bandoleer.
The mods for the A-5, though cool, only have so much functionality.e.g;
the magazines (as far as i am aware) are not expansion chambers like the BT M-16 Mag.
For a starting kit, more than sufficient. When you become an experienced scenario player, then upgrade the WHORE out of your marker!
Yes the S1 comes with a pre-kitted look but A-5 is just soooo much better.
Could also check 2nd hand BT Delta or D-E models for a good pre-kitted MP5SD look.

Cheers!
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Rebellion-Paintball
Owner-Rebellion Paintball

Rebellion-Paintball is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same issue when I just started playing and bought my marker, I was looking at the A5, as the guys have already said, highly mod-able, tons of upgrades and a super marker given that it comes with a cyclone.

However, the the Sierra One (I own a Bravo One) is still a solid choice if you have limited budget, and was exactly the reason I bought the Bravo One, firstly I got it secondhand for R800, whacked in a R150 parts kit and was lucky to score a cyclone for R350. I was then able to purchase my wife's BT4 and all our playing gear with the change left over from what I would have spent on an A5 plus upgrades.

Truth be told my next marker is the A5, But i'll never sell my trusty Bravo one, and it still has room for a ton of upgrades...

So i guess, it all depends on how many toys you want to be able to buy starting off.

Oh btw, I don't know if you are aware, the sierra one is not made for an electronic trigger, only a response trigger, and the bravo one only e and not response, it is possible to mod either marker to accept either upgrade, but you need patience and good dremmel skills
Rebellion-Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Sub-Zero

Thanked 3,075 Times in 1,640 Posts
Sub-Zero is a name known to allSub-Zero is a name known to allSub-Zero is a name known to allSub-Zero is a name known to allSub-Zero is a name known to allSub-Zero is a name known to allSub-Zero is a name known to all
Trade Feedback: 9

These comparison threads are always an interesting read.
It gives a good insight as to what other players prefer in a marker.

I have owned a Brao One Tactical, with everything!
E-Trigger, Barrel Upgrades, Cyclone, Sight Riser and Red Dot, Fore Grip etc. etc. etc.
The downside is that it was a heavy marker, and coupled with the 20 ounce tank I used ot use, it does become a bit of a pain in the wrist after a long day.

The A-5, which out of the box only really needs a barrel upgrade, is considerably lighter, and doesn't quite look as "milsim" as the Bravo or Sierra does, but is a slightly better quality marker overall..... but only slightly.

So, if you do the maths, and weigh up your preferences, then you should come up with a choice of marker that best suits your playing style, strength, and abilities.

A5 = Slightly more money | Lighter | Not great looking, but can be made to emulate almost any gun | Needs a barrel upgrade.

Sierra One = Heavy | Cheap | Looks good! | Only comes in one style | Needs a barrel upgrade.

Focus on your mask choice first!
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #7
JouDoring
KoeVoet

I've never been a fan of the E-grips, and make me shoot a million balls with one trigger pull thing. I find them dangerous in the close in fight.

My A5 has no internal upgrades, shoots perfectly fine just as is. I only have external upgrades; horizontal fore grip very lekker; remote coil saves me gas and makes me marker lighter; I then needed a stock to take the place of the gas bottle, Trust me the g36 is the way to go; a red dot and sight raiser for the best and quickest aiming ever, but you gotta force yourself to use it always takes some getting used to; oh yes and a J&J barrel 12'.

If shooting loads of paint is you're thing then go for it, but I must say that I never think that if I only shot more balls per second I would have gotten that player. I constantly wish for accuracy on my marker, paint and my ability to aim. In the scenario games I found it's usually the first ball that hits anyway. the other two are just there for in case the first one went stray, but then the target might have ducked already. What I do love is that you hardly ever have people moaning that you've over shot them.

Klaar gepraat
Old June 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #8
AfterShocK

If i were you in terms of masks i would go for the Dye i4, JT Flex 8 or a thermal helix. Dye I4 is an awesome mask but its really pricey. Flex 8 is comfortable, doesnt mist up and is considerably cheaper. Helix is also good but isnt as comfortable but is by far the cheapest. Hope that helps
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Scicopathix

Scicopathix is an unknown quantity at this point
Trade Feedback: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JouDoring View Post
I've never been a fan of the E-grips, and make me shoot a million balls with one trigger pull thing. I find them dangerous in the close in fight.
I'm gonna have to disagree with that. I have a Bravo one, with an E-trigger. I usually set it to 'full auto' at 12bps (the next setting is 15bps), but that only kicks in on the 4th squeeze of the trigger. Generally, I double-tap, so the full-auto only really gets used when I need to put down suppressive fire for my maatjies, and then I have to deliberately activate it.
I never use the 3-shot function, coz that is just wasting paint.
I have, however, been on the receiving end of a response trigger a few times, and if the chap is just 'feeling' his trigger, that can get quite an accidental squirt going on, resulting in what some would call an over-paint.
Big disadvantage of an E-trigger, in my opinion, is the battery. You have no real way of knowing how much power it still hold, until it fails.
Always carry a spare in your gear bag.

I have found the Bravo one to be a good, reliable marker, but all the bits 'n bobs I've bought over time has made it a pretty expensive one.
I have the standard 8" tactical barrel (pretty much a waste of time)
12" Tippman sniper barrel
14" Proto barrel (Better than the 16" Tippman in my opinion)
Flatline barrel
E-trigger
Cyclone feeder w/squishy paddles
Low profile hopper
Picatinny rail mounted on carry handle
Offset picatinny with red dot scope
Collapsible, extendable stock
Foregrip
Remote coil w/slide check (mounting a cylinder onto the marker, as Sub said, makes it fairly cumbersome, so I carry the 20oz CO2 bottle on my back)

So when you add all that up, I may just as well have bought a brand new high-end marker to begin with.
Old June 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #10
JouDoring
KoeVoet

ja you see you got full control over you're marker with having it only kick in on the 4rth shot. I'm talking about those things that go ape from the first touch of the trigger. (not sure what you need to put on the marker to make it do that, but ja)

on the battery bit, can you easily put a new battery in on the field or is a bit of a job.

The remote coil is just the way to go for scenario/bush play. the coil acts as a bit of a regulator making the shots much more consistent, further more you carry less weight in your hands. The best bit ia It looks cool

Klaar gepraat